Custom pet portraits, hand made cake toppers

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tutorial & creative recycling : a curtain tieback made from recycled wrapping paper and cardboard

After Christmas I have so much wrapping paper, of course I kept it, can always be useful for some new idea! (And if kept well for new gifts).
Today I want to share with you this tutorial I made to create an original  
curtain tieback

I used only recycled materials:
You need:
- Recycled cardboard
- Recycled wrapping paper (among those that I have, I chose the one with the colors that were better in my room, and I decided for this one white and gold.)



- Two sticks for skewers ( I made fish skewers for Christmas Eve dinner, wonderful!!! :)
- Scissors
- Compass
- Black marker or pencil
- Paper tape
- Glue for paper



 Step 1: cut a circle from cardboard

With the compass draw a circle with a diameter of 7" on a piece of recycled cardboard (mine is 0,08" thick, but you can use what you have, thicker is better)




Draw another circle inside the first one with a diameter of 1,8"




Cut the two circles:




Now we have the inside of the curtain tieback and we have to cover it with paper gift to make it nice!


Step 2: cover the cardboard circle with gift paper


Put the wrapping paper under the circle and draw with a marker or a pencil the circles outlines:



Now you can cut out two circles from the wrapping paper, which will serve to cover the two sides of the cardboard circle:




Stick the wrapping paper on the cardboard circle with glue.




Step 3: create a stick in theme with the circle


Join two sticks with paper tape:







Cover them with the same wrapping paper or different if you prefer.


Fix paper with tape.


And here is the finished curtain tieback!




In this picture is fixed to the curtain of my bathroom window:


How does it fit on the curtain?

1- Insert a bit of fabric in the hole to form a "loop":




 2- Insert the stick in the loop:




 3- Pull the curtain down:



What do you think of this idea?
I'm very proud of my bathroom curtain now!

4 comments:

Please feel free to comment on any of my posts - I would love to hear from you!:D